Click here to download the 5 Year Plan.
In 2021, the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety delivered its final report recommending the development of an Aboriginal Aged Care Pathway with responsibility for access, assessment, and service delivery being placed in the hands of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community. In response, the National Advisory Group for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Aged Care, which NATSIAACC emerged from, published a five-year strategy, Our Care, Our Way, Our Future, to demonstrate how a new system could be established.
The strategy priorities 8 areas for reform:
- Establish access targets to address the massive under-representation of Indigenous Elders in aged care.
- Fund a national program of Indigenous Trusted Navigators to help Indigenous Elders access services
- Fund Indigenous Assessment Services in every aged care planning region
- Fund an expansion of Indigenous aged care provides so Elder can receive culturally safe care
- Direct additional investment to support the increasing number of Indigenous Elders in urban areas
- Expand the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Flexible Aged Care Program into all capital cities and urban areas
- Implement integrated aged and primary health care models building on the network of Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services
- Expand the Indigenous care workforce by subsidizing training and wages